DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION (D.Ed)
D.Ed or Diploma in Education is a certificate course. D.Ed course can be taken up by non-permanent teachers who have completed their 12th with a minimum of 50% marks and minimum teaching experience of 2 years. D.Ed course duration is 2 years. D.Ed course is mainly for those who are willing to be a part of permanent teaching staff, especially in government schools.
Diploma in Education course trains such people to improve their teaching, understanding the importance of education, handling different situations in classrooms, ways to understand children and various ways to teach them. Almost all the colleges take in students through direct admissions for D.Ed course. D.Ed course aims to provide the necessary knowledge about teaching at primary schools.
There are many jobs available for D.Ed graduates at both private and government schools. Most of them are taken in as a primary school teacher, or daycare teacher.
• A citizen of India alone shall be eligible for admission to the D.Ed. programme.
• The minimum qualification is the second year pre university course with Arts, Science or Commerce combinations or with any other course equivalent to the pre university examination.
• The minimum pass for the purpose of eligibility shall be fifty percent of marks in the pre-university or equivalent examination.
• Candidates who have passed the secondary/pre university vocational education course /diploma or any other job oriented course shall not be eligible for admission to the D.Ed. course.
• In the case of candidates belonging to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes the minimum pass will be forty five percent. In the case of category-I and other backward classes, eligibility will be as specified in the rele vant orders issued by the state government from time to time.
Allocation of Seats :
• College shall admit all the candidates allotted by the Government of Karnataka through Common Entrance Test (CET) or any appropriate agency recognised by the Government of Karnataka.
• For filling the other seats, the respective colleges shall select the candidates following eligiblity criteria as envisaged in regulations.
• The college should get the selected candidates, both under the Government quota and Management quota, within the date fixed for admission.
• The total intake of all B.Ed colleges shall be 100 and or as fixed by NCTE/Government of Karnataka from time to time.
• The student ratio in science and arts disciplines shall be generally 50:50. If a sufficient number of candidates are not available in a science discipline such of seats shall be adjusted from arts discipline in the ratio of 25:75 and vice versa.
Duration of the Course :
• The duration of study for D.Ed course shall extend over a period of 2 years.
• The minimum duration of practice teaching shall be of six weeks which excludes programmes like micro teaching, simulated teaching unit plan and test.
• The medium of instruction shall be English. However, candidates may be permitted to write their answer in the Examination in Kannada.
• A working day shall be of a minimum of six contact hours and 40 hours of stay per week in a college.